Sunday, October 4, 2009

Chalice Reflection

Chalice Reflection
of
Mark Alves
First Parish Unitarian Universalist
Cohasset, MA
October 4, 2009

At sunset this evening our Jewish friends will begin celebrating Yom Kippur. Jan asked me if I would light the chalice this morning and offer a reflection on my experience as a co-facilitator of the “Our Whole Lives” program. I would like to ask a question. How as a toddler, pre teen, teen, young adult, and adult did you come to experience your full human sexuality? I am sure some of us are still trying to figure it out. Fortunately for our children, we have the OWL program that offers them an opportunity to explore human sexuality in a safe and age appropriate manner.

What is OWL you might be asking? Our Whole Lives is a series of sexuality education curricula for six age groups: grades K-1, grades 4-6, grades 7-9, grades 10-12, young adults (ages 18-35), and adults.

Our Whole Lives helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior. It equips participants with accurate, age-appropriate information in six subject areas: human development, relationships, personal skills, sexual behavior, sexual health, and society and culture. Grounded in a holistic view of sexuality, Our Whole Lives provides not only facts about anatomy and human development, but helps participants to clarify their values, build interpersonal skills, and understand the spiritual, emotional, and social aspects of sexuality. Our Whole lives embraces the values of self worth, sexual health, responsibility, and justice and inclusivity.

Five years ago I was asked if I would be interested in co-facilitating the OWL program for First Parish. I was intrigued and decided to accept the position as long as I was trained. There were two reasons for my agreement to help. One, I wanted to learn about the program that was part of the UU community that I had become a part of. And secondly, a more selfish reason, I wanted a deeper understanding of the program my children would someday take part in. I must admit that when I found out that the other facilitator was going to be Diana Karcher it made the decision easier.

I was fortunate to co-facilitate the OWL program with Diana Karcher, who has an abundant amount of energy and a true love for people and especially our children. Diana and I learned as much, if not more than the children. Diana and I observed the children gain a confidence from new found knowledge and understanding. We watched each of them walk away with a clearer understanding of his/her values, newly equipped with the knowledge we hoped would help them to make good decisions. I hope that they each found the experience to be helpful and look back on the program as a worthwhile experience.

As circumstances would have it, my oldest daughter Melissa will be starting the OWL program in a few weeks. For obvious reasons, I cannot teach the program. Jim FitzGerald is looking for someone from First Parish to be a co-facilitator. Scituate has graciously offered to host the program; however we only have one facilitator at this time. What a wonderful opportunity someone from First Parish could have. If you are interested, please speak with me or Jim. I am willing to assist in any way I can.

Thank you.